Sandbox Part 1: Computer Parts


In order to run the water Simulation Software used by the sandbox, many sites recommend buying a computer, generally for around $600-700. However, due to my past experience with pc building, and some inspiration, I figured I would build my own. I tried my best to cut their price in half, and succeeded.

For this build, I used an optiplex 980 desktop I purchased for a very low price on ebay, along with a few components to upgrade it. Here is my parts list:

1 optiplex 980 desktop with:
4x2GB sticks of ddr3 RAM                          $68 for all (USED)
Core i7 870 CPU
256 GB hdd                             


RX 580 8gb GPU                                           $125 (USED)
240gb crucial BX500 SSD                             $32   (NEW)
Rosewill 750 watt Bronze PSU                      $37   (REFURBISHED)
8 pin ITX to ATX PSU adapter                      $10   (NEW)
USB WIFI (optional)                                      $13   (NEW)

Case (can be done differently)
4*4 project board                                            $10
plastic tub (at least 20*12*8)                          $10
brass standoffs                                                 $0.50
#6-32 nuts (to secure heatsink)                        $3

Total: $308.5                                                             

In reality many of these parts were bought as I built and found out I needed them, but with that experience behind me, this is a complete list of parts needed for the build.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandbox Part 5: Software