Sandbox Part 4: Linux





Image result for ubuntu logo penguin

The sandbox software packages that I will need to use all run on the linux OS. However, in case I ever wanted to repurpose the computer to do something else, I wanted to preserve the Windows OS already installed on the machine. Because of this need, and the two drives that I had available, I decided I would dual-boot linux and windows, one on each drive. This ended up being marginally more difficult than expected, but mainly due to my own error. I opted to use Ubuntu linux for this project, as it is the distribution I am most familiar with.

Image result for ubuntu logo
This normally involves the fairly simple procedure of downloading the linux .iso file, and then using a digital tool to install it to a drive partition. After that, the computer needs to be restarted. On bootup, the user presses the delete key to open the boot menu, switches the primary boot drive from the Windows one to the Linux one, and then the computer will boot up into linux, where the OS can be set up. To Assist me, I used a few online guides to work my way through the process. However, after doing all of the steps in the proper order, I was greeted with a screen made up of random pixel patterns, in multiple bright colors. Although it was interesting, it was not linux. After further troubleshooting, I discovered that I had installed the wrong version of the .iso file. When the program prompted me, I selected the intel32 version of the program, instead of the correct amd64 version, because of my assumption that it had something to do with the cpu brand, mine being intel. After resolving this issue, linux booted up properly, and I was ready to start downloading the first bit of software. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandbox Part 5: Software

Sandbox Part 1: Computer Parts